Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Lethal People

This is the first book in the Lethal Series or the Donovan Creed series by the author John Locke (no, not that John Locke the 17th century English philosopher).

Okay, so the wikipedia entry for the author says that "Donovan Creed, the main character of the Lethal Series, is a former CIA assassin and a smart-aleck tough guy with a heart of bronze. Locke's characters are particularly known for their witty dialogue." After reading the first of the series, all I can say is that that's some effing bullshit.

The dialogue isn't particularly witty or funny. Yeah, there might have been about three or four funny lines, and that's about it. All the rest were some attempts at humor but didn't come even close. The Creed character is supposed to be a tough guy. The author tries really hard, artificially so, to make the character a really tough dude. Then he sprinkles in throw-up quality (there's no other way of saying it nicely, really) sentimental and romantic scenes tied to the same tough guy. At times, I found the reading it really difficult with my mind saying "this is 9th or 10th grade level writing."

I've been pleasantly surprised by a couple of Michael Connelly detective/thriller novels which I came across by accident. If Connelly is close to a 10, this Locke guy comes close to 1.5. Don't get me wrong; it is an easy read, easy to follow, and there's a definite storyline. But, the story doesn't have any reality basis, or a real mystery. The bad guys are bad, the good guys are good. The winner camp ends up with all the loot and then-some. Because of the language and the subject matter, I can't say the novel is for the young adult. Like they say, it is a book to kill time, for those who like it better dead. I don't think I'll be wasting my valuable time on other books by this author.

[This was the first book I read off my smart-phone.]

No comments:

Post a Comment