Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Lincoln Lawyer

I picked up the book The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly from our campus bookstore's discount bin because it had a nice title and an intriguing enough summery in the dust cover. This is the second of Michael Connelly's books I've come across after diving through discount bins (the first being the "Void Moon"). In both cases, I've been pleasantly surprised.

Connelly seems to have done a lot of research for this book. I'm not in the "machinery," as he calls the whole legal process, so I don't know how close to reality he comes but it sounds pretty compelling. There's one part, pretty insignificant to the overall storyline, where he explains what a phising scam is. He does a fairly accurate job of it. The thanks at the end of the book mentions that he spent quite a bit of time in the courtrooms and judge's chambers. I can't find any holes in the descriptions.

The story itself is pretty nicely laid out. I couldn't figure out the plot ahead of time (unlike some of Dan Brown's stories). Moreover, the story takes place in Los Angeles and San Fernando valley where I spent quite a bit of time. It was nice to visit those places in the pages of a mystery novel.

Looks like they the movie version is coming out this year. Matthew McConaughey as the defense lawyer? Wouldn't have been my first choice, but hey, it will work. Wonder if he will have that excessive southern twang as an LA lawyer too.

All in all, I liked this book a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment